Monday, May 4, 2009

The Opposite Side of Parent of the Year

James: "Where are all the scissors?"

Me: "In the pile of magazine stuff on the floor."

James: "Seriously? On the floor? Why do we even bother making the house baby-proof? Why do we have toilet locks...."

Me: "I don't even think we need those things anymore."

I was in the middle of reading about the Jon and Kate plus Eight scandal, so I wasn't really paying attention, but I'm pretty sure the rest went something like this:  "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, irresponsible, blah, blah, blah..." 

And then I hear Ella humming the "Brusha Brusha Brusha" song that we sing sometimes when the kids brush their teeth. I glance up from my laptop to see her smiling and pretend-brushing her front teeth with a closed pair of pink kid scissors. Smiling. And Brushing. Peyton (because he's a fan of lax parenting) and I looked at each other and busted out laughing. Well played, Ella. Well played.

For the record, I know she NEVER would have touched the grown-up scissors. She knows better. But I'm pretty sure she just chose sides and picked her favorite parent. And it's not the one who leaves sharp objects laying around all willy-nilly. 

Point: James


1 comment:

Baby Z's Mom said...

Don't worry you are not the only one! My daughter decided to cut up her shirt the other while sitting at her desk & cutting her paper like she always does. I checked on her to make sure she was fine & caught her red handed with the scissors in the middle of her shirt! I was laughing on the inside while playing stern Mom on the outside. Meanwhile husband is freaking out because she cut on her sleeve too and "could have sliced herself open!". Don't think so, they are safety scissors for a reason, unless she would have had to make a real effort to cut herself the way he was saying.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...