Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Chocolate Covered Strawberries

Did you know that Chocolate Covered Strawberries are so so so so so easy to make?

For some reason I always thought that they must be incredibly difficult and time-consuming and expensive to create. Oh, wait, I do know the reason - because they are ridiculously over-priced in those mall specialty shops. It's a classic case of "Over-price it and they will come." Oh, and I did! One hundred years ago I would save 3 weeks worth of minimum wage salary at Wet Seal just to enjoy a single specialty strawberry. Sure, it was worth it. But that was a hundred years ago. Things change. When I figured out how easy they are to make, it made me reevaluate my view of the world.

Anyway!

I don't even measure anymore. That's how easy they are to make. You can check out an official recipe here if you want to be all measury and stuff. One more thing, if you don't have vegetable shortening, go ahead and make them anyway. Lots of recipes call for the shortening, and lots of recipes don't. I think the strawberries turn out better with the shortening, but it's not a huge difference.

Here's what you need:
Strawberries
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
Vegetable Shortening

In review, just in case you missed it:

Strawberries:


Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and Vegetable Shortening:
(I used Hershey's because it was on sale, but I usually use whatever cheap store brand I can get for cheap. Reevaluate the world. Cheap. It really doesn't matter. Cheap.)


Throw some chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl or cup and add a large spoonful of shortening:


Stick the cup in the microwave:


Most recipes will tell you to melt the chocolate chips over a double-boiler. I read that as "An extra dish to wash," so I don't do it.

VERY IMPORTANT! Don't over-heat the chocolate chips. If you do, the chocolate will seize and get lumpy and hard and you'll have to throw it away.

Turn on the microwave and watch. Check the chocolate chips every 30 seconds. When they look like this:


Take them out. Stir until they all melt into this deliciousness:


Dip your strawberries into the chocolate and place them on a wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Stick them in the fridge for as long as you can stand it:


Or until the chocolate cools and hardens - about 20 to 30 minutes.



Beautiful!

And, yes, I know you can make them all extra fancy by drizzling on white chocolate, blah blah blah. Let me just tell you about my Chocolate Covered Strawberries: See how mine are all fancy in a bowl? It's all a lie. I eat them right off the cookie sheet. As I stand in front of the open refrigerator. So I don't have to share them with my family.

Yep.

3 comments:

SugarandSpice said...

I love it! You are very funny you know?!?!?!

Cap Creations said...

You crack me up! And boy do they look good!

Anonymous said...

Yess I love me some chocolate covered strawberries! I make them constantly! Annnd there is this chocolate in a bowl made especially for this. Pop the bowl o chocolate into the microwave, dip strawberries in, however many you want, put lid back on chocolate, put in fridge and reuse!

But I love my overpriced godiva chocolate dipped strawberries! I have them once a month, just 1, 1 for me and 1 for my son! Its our little "Ive been a good person this week" treat! I always go in and say "your two biggest chocolate strawberries" the bill is always like 20 dollars for 2 friggin things! BUT its my treat! And when I fight, yeah thats right sometimes I pick a fight with my hubby, and make it very theatrical just so he will go buy me these as an I'm sorry! HEHE

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...