Sunday, March 14, 2010

Conversation With A 4-year-old At 11:06 p.m.

Ella appears in the living room with two of her favorite stuffed animal puppies and declares, "Ummmm...Mommy, I'm going to stay in here for 5 minutes. "


"What are you doing awake?"


"Umm... I just want to come in because you're the sweetest Mommy ever and I missed you."


"But I saw you all day long and you are supposed to be in your room."


"But if I sleep in my room then I miss you. And if you're in Mommy and Daddy's room and if I'm a little bit far in this house then I miss you."


"I'm not in Mommy and Daddy's room. I'm in the living room. And besides, Mommy and Daddy's room is right across from yours."


"I know. You know what I miss the best? It has a wet nose sometimes and it barks."


"Is it indie?"


"It's a puppy that lives in this house. Mommy, pretend I didn't tell you the joke yet."


"Okay."


"Pretend there's invisible cages in this house for puppies and each puppy has a different name and it's on this side of the living room and it's black and white."


"Is it Indie?"


"Yes!"


"Mommy? Let's watch the show."


"The show is over."


Pretend coughs. "Ehem....If I have a snack I can brush my teeth again."


"I'm not having a snack."


"No, I need something that is tiny. I really need something to eat. I'm not teasing. I'm starrrrrrrving! I really need one."


"What would you like?"


"Something."


"Well, you need to put on your pajama shirt first."


"Mommy, I have a plan! I put on my pajama shirt and you get me a snack."


She pets her little stuffed animal puppy.


"When I pet her, her head is the softest."


She runs to her room and brings out her pajama shirt.


"Did it! I'm so fast! After I put my arms in, I will get a snack. Okay?"


"Okay."


I cut her a piece of oatmeal bar that we made together earlier.


"Mmmmm! I love these. Do you know why? Because it has raisins and I love raisins!"


"They're actually cranberries, not raisins."


"Oh! Okay. I love cranberries, too! What letter makes the 'cran' sound?"


"C."


"What letter makes the 'berry' sound?"


"B."


She finishes her oatmeal bar. I tease her:


"Ella, that's weird, I thought I gave you an oatmeal bar. Where did it go?"


"It's in my tummy, Silly!"


"Okay, it's time for bed."


"Are you going to bed now, too?"


"Yes."


"Why?"


"Because it's late and I need to go to bed."


She crawls on the floor like a puppy. "I'm looking for the big crumb. I know it's here somewhere. Mommy! I'm a puppy and I'm

trying to chase my tail and I'm trying to bite my tail." She tries to catch her own bottom.


"Mommy, say, 'Come here and sit.'"


"Puppy, come here and sit."


"When I stand up, you say, 'I didn't know you could stand up, puppy.'"


She stands up.


"Hmmmm... I didn't know you could stand up, puppy."


"That's because I'm a person!"


And she runs to brush her teeth. She's in the bathroom for a good 5 minutes and when I go to check on her I find all the toothbrushes lined up on the counter.


"I organized!"


"Yes, you did, sweetie pie. Let's go to bed. Do you want to sleep in Mommy and Daddy's room?"


"Yes!"


She grabs her pup pups and hurls herself into the bed. We cuddle up and she wraps her sweet little arms around my neck.


"Mommy, you know I love you, right?"


"Yes, you know I love you, right?"


"Yes!"


And I do. I love her so, so much.






11 comments:

Suz said...

Ah! I love it. So sweet.

lfhpueblo said...

Did you get any sleep, because her eyes look wide open, like she's not sleepy at all. I think she's got puppy on the brain game going on in her imagination and she's wired from puppy love.

4kidsgrandma said...

Ella's lucky to have you documenting such sweet memories so they won't be lost in time.

Liz said...

This is the second one of these you've done where I can *hear* my daughter as your daughter! Too funny.

Paula said...

Alright! I just started reading your blog tonight (going backward) and your kids are just too stinkin' precious! Where am I going wrong with my kids? LOL!

Anonymous said...

you did really great work. i appricate you for this work. i really like your afforts. keep it up and share more that type of post. it’s time to Check out this Pressure Washing Services in Portland visit here for more details.

Anonymous said...

You make so many great points here that I read your article a couple of times. Your views are in accordance with my own for the most part. This is great content for your readers. it's time too avail this Roof Inspection Services in San Diego visit here for more details.

Anonymous said...

Logo Design Dubai is a leading Dubai based web design company offering website design, graphic design, IT support & digital marketing services in Dubai.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog and absolutely outstanding. You can do something much better but i still say this perfect. Keep trying for the best. thanks for this it's time to avail this Remodeling Services in Houston visit here for more details.

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. it's time to avail this Industrial Painting Services in Sacramento CA visit here for more details.

Anonymous said...

Great post! you share the informative posts. You deliver the conversation between two persons. Moreover, commercial cleaning Dallas tx provide the reliable services in short time.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...