Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tortilla Soup

This is the best tortilla soup I've ever had. Look at it! It's amazing.


The original recipe is from Rachael Ray, but I've tweaked it a little over the years anyway, so now I'm semi-claiming it as my own. 



Yum Yum! Here we go!


Tortilla Soup

Vegetable oil, for drizzling, plus 2 tablespoons
3 ears corn on the cob
1 red bell pepper, split and seeded
2 or 3 chicken breasts
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
Salt and pepper 
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1 medium yellow skinned onion, chopped 
3 cloves garlic, chopped 
1 to 2 chipotle in adobo peppers, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes, 28 ounces
1 can tomato sauce, 8 ounces 
3 cups chicken stock


A note about the ingredients: 
I usually double up on the ingredients to make a huge pot of soup. I would like to say that it freezes well, and I'm sure it does, but ours never lasts long enough to freeze. It's soooo good!
Usually I'm lazy and use frozen corn.
If you don't have any poultry seasoning (I rarely do), you can use McCormick Grill Seasoning or any other salty seasoning mix you like.
A can of chipotle peppers will cost you a couple dollars. Whatever you don't use in this recipe can be frozen in an airtight container forever. One can usually lasts me several recipes. And don't be afraid of the chipotles! If you don't like spicy food, just add one.They add a wonderful deep, smoky flavor.
If I have any tomatoes on my counter that are a little on the soft side, I'll chop those up and throw them in. And sometimes I use a large can of tomato sauce. Because I'm a loner, Dottie, a rebel.


Garnishes (It's ALL about the garnishes BABY!):
Homemade tortilla strips 
Shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
Sour cream
Chopped cilantro
Diced avocado
Pickled jalapenos
Brown rice, prepared

A note about the garnishes:
I always make my own tortilla strips for this. Not because I'm awesome, although you know I am! but because they're really easy and super delicious!  You can use regular tortilla strips, but then you might as well add a cup of salt to your soup. The homemade kind are so flavorful and you get to decide how salty you like them. You can see how I make mine here.
A long, long time ago I was a server at The Cheesecake Factory for something like 7 years. I learned a lot about cooking working there! We always served our tortilla soup with a little bit of rice at the bottom of the bowl, so that's how I do it (of course, they used white rice, but that's okay, too). 


Make it:
Heat a grill pan to high and a soup pot to medium high. Drizzle oil on corn and place on grill. Add red pepper to grill with corn. Char vegetables 10 minutes, total, turning occasionally. Remove to cool, 5 minutes. Remove charred skin from the pepper. (Sometimes I skip this step and saute the raw chopped peppers with the other vegetables. And I throw in some frozen corn later on with the tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock.)

While vegetables cook, dice chicken. Add 2 tablespoons oil to hot soup pot. Add chicken to pot. Season with poultry seasoning, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. 

Lightly brown chicken on each side. Add zucchini, onions and garlic and chipotle peppers. Cook vegetables with chicken 5 to 7 minutes to soften. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock. Bring soup to a bubble, reduce heat to medium low.

Scrape corn off cob and add to soup. Chop grilled red pepper and stir into soup.


Top with your favorite garnishes.


Do you make your tortilla soup differently? I'd love to hear about it!




Enjoy!


12 comments:

Ali Richardson said...

If I didn't see all the scary ingredients written out (pickled jalapenos????), I may, MAY like this soup!

4kidsgrandma said...

Absolutely yummy!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Y-U-M-!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

This looks delicious!

Rachel said...

Oh goodness - that looks utterly delicious (I'm all about the garnishes too!)

If I let my husband see this - he'll have me running to the grocery store at 8:30 at night! :)

The Olive Tree Blog said...

ummmm, I'm drooling! For sure about the garnishes!!! So funny about you comment...I might steal your saying " baby jail" ... love it!

The Olive Tree Blog said...

p.s. I do make mine a little different...no spicy stuff (not my thing) I use frozen corn b/c it is winter when I make this and that is all there is (ha) and I add black beans and a little lemon juice. Last instead of tomatoes I use 1 cup of home made salsa. I am so going to add rice to mine...yum!

The Lawrences said...

looks yummy! I can't wait to try it!

Sarah, Three Boys said...

one the list for this week for sure, home made tortillas chips included! You rock.

Denise said...

I found you on Thrilling Thursday Linky Party. I didn’t join since I haven’t created anything but I had to check out the projects everyone else did. Creative people inspire me so I am now following you. This soup look delicious. I also love the burlap lamp shade. I love anything burlap it seems. I hope you will follow me back http://talesfrommyjournal.blogspot.com I can be found in facebook too http://www.facebook.com/DeniseMartin.LillaRose and twitter @DeniseLillaRose If you like/follow me there I will do the same for you. When you stop by my blog, please check out my kind of fashion (hair jewelry).

Marlee said...

This looks delicious! I'll definitely have to give it a try! Found you at the Thrilling Thursday's blog hop and am glad I did! Am a happy new follower :).

http://marleeindebt.blogspot.com/

Kayla said...

Hi I tried to email you but it wouldn't go through. I found someone using your photo and claiming it as their. Please email me if you would like their info to file a DMCA and to have it taken down. chickwhocooks@outlook.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...