Thursday, April 26, 2012

So...I Painted Something.

But I'm not quite sure what it is.

When Ali took me to the Long Beach Flea Market a few weekends ago, I saw this layered wood / relief art / 3D thing. It was broken. That arch piece laying on its side is supposed to be layered on top of the other two arches. An easy fix, so I wasn't really bothered by it. And, because it was broken, I was able to buy it for only $5!

Would anyone else would have wanted it anyway? Probably not. It's quite an odd piece.

But there is just something about it that I love. I'm sure it's because it looks like some kind of cathedral town / market square type of scene. Ever since I read The Pillars of the Earth, I have special kind of love for cathedrals and arches and monks.

It's a beautiful, quiet, peaceful, and calming scene.


But who are they? Maybe Muslim priests? What do you think?

Anyway, it's definitely not some fancy heirloom piece. The wood is thin and cheap. When I tried to clean up all that dust, this guy's ankle totally broke. It was a clean break and it popped right back into place. Phew! These priests are tough!


I love the scene, I never said I loved the wood. Time to paint!

I started by spray painting the whole thing white.


Then I added a little color. Or a lot.


And now it's still beautiful and quiet and peaceful...


Only now it's a little extra colorful and happy! 


I love it!!!






10 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

that is so fun! i don't know what it is either, but i like the paint treatment!

Lisa @ Turning Tables said...

Ha! That thing is. . . . super interesting! And you are right, much more fun and fancy now! :) I like it!

Anonymous said...

Looks like Old Jerusalem, and that the men are Hasidic Jews. Possibly Satmars (a sect). They wear a large fur hat that is that shape, and a long overcoat... That's what I think ;)

Ali Richardson said...

Ooooooh, I love how it turned out. Awesome treasure!

4kidsgrandma said...

Such smart followers you have, Darcy! Love what you did with your flea market find!

Melissa @ No. 2 Pencil said...

This is crazy cool! I love the bright colors and the whole look. Great job!

Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorite books of all time! I also suggest the Outlander series to all my friends that like Pillars of the Earth. Have you read it?

I linked up next to you at TT&J. So glad I found you, I'm a new follower!

Tammy said...

What a fun makeover... whatever it is, you turned it from drab to fab! Thanks for sharing it :)

Darcy said...

I wish I knew who anonymous was so I could give a big thanks! :)

Ruth said...

I love this. These are definitely Hasidic Jews. It could be Jerusalem or Zafed. This is so much better that the original...in more ways than one..

Darcy said...

Thanks for all the information, Ruth! I seriously love all the knowledge that's out there!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...